‘Am I too old to start an online business?” “Have I missed the boat? These are questions we naturally think about when looking into business ideas, especially when you are over 50. I personally don’t think there is an age limit on starting an online business. I don’t think so. Many people start businesses late in life. Age is not a barrier, in fact, having life experiences can assist people in commencing businesses.
Why age is not a barrier to commencing an online business?
It is possible to start an online business at any age. In fact, there are even some great advantages to starting an online business at a mature age.
1. Life experience is an advantage.
You have life experience. A big benefit when starting an online business is you have skills to draw on.
- business skills
- skills in home life
- skills in communications
- hobbies that you are good at
- knowledge in your field of work
- skills in all areas of life and that will assist you in business.
You may not have online skills however online skills like all skills can be learnt. Think back, when you learnt to drive a car, were you born with that skill? No, you learnt it, practised, practised some more and then could drive. It was the same when you were a child and learnt to ride a bike, you learnt by doing following the tactics of learning by doing.
2. You understand learning a new skill take practice.
‘Repetition is the father of learning, I repeat, repetition is the father of learning.’ – Dwayne Michael CarterDwayne Michael Carter
Learning to blog and social media marketing skills is no different to learning a sport.
Carsten plays golf every week. Learning to play golf can be frustrating especially if you keep missing the ball, don’t play well, are always over stroke or the ball often lands in the bunker. Golf is a skill you can learn and if golf was your focus you would learn the skills required and practice and practice and practice until you are happy at golf.
Is anyone ever happy with their golf game? I know Carsten comes home every Saturday and says ‘the short game could be better, the long game could be better’. So he watches videos, reads books and learns some more golf tips only to practice and play more golf.Angie@lifestyleanytime
It takes practice and patience to learn new skills and age is no barrier.
3. Your knowledge is an asset.
Knowledge is valuable in the economy. So many people underestimate the value they bring and share with others. Life’s knowledge and business knowledge is a commodity that is highly sought after.
What do young people seek most on YouTube and Google? They seek answers to questions about skills they need in life and business. Mature entrepreneurs too seek answers about the online world and online business.
People of all ages seek answers to questions on a wide variety of topics. If you were to list just some of the things you google or search in your favourite search engine, the list would be long.
- How to format a blog post?
- Simple guide to SEO
- What are examples of life goals?
- How to choose a business name?
- How to create a vision board?
- When should I plant tomatoes?
- I may seek answers to questions on technology, while the young seek answers to questions on life in general.
You and I both ask questions to help us upskill in different areas of our lives. Starting a business at any age is upskilling your current skills and so rewarding.
4. You know what you want in life and know how to set goals to get it.
An important question is why are you starting an online business?
The reason I started learning blogging and online marketing skills is for a better future. I know to live well when I pension means I need to earn more and continue to earn later in life. I know that I want the freedom to travel and the freedom to choose how I spend my days.
Do you know why you want to start an online business?
Goal setting is a big part of building an online business or starting any business, sport or hobby. Before you commence setting your business goals dig deep into your ‘why’.
Why do you want to build an online business?
- Is it financial security?
- Is it to share your skills?
- Would you like to travel?
- Is it to have the flexibility to look after the grandchildren while having the security of your own online business?
- Is it fulfilment or purpose?
When you know ‘WHY” you want to do something, you create habits to help you achieve your goal.
With an online business, this is no different, the habits are learning new skills, learning the business model and working to a plan toward your chosen goal.
5. You have a work ethic that can help you achieve your business goal.
Having life experiences in a wide variety of areas usually means you understand work ethic and the power of change. Change comes from creating positive habits and building upon current habits to form a new outcome.
How to start achieving your business goal?
- Review your core values to check your business goal aligns with your values.
- Write down your goal and break it down into action steps.
- Take action daily towards your goals.
- Learn to overcome obstacles.
- Create routines that suit you by structuring your day for success.
It does not matter what age you are when you start an online business. The key thing is the mindset. Having the right mindset to push through frustration and obstacles towards the goal you have. Having the mindset and also the want to learn the skillset required will help you progress and achieve your goal. Keep your ‘why’ in focus as you follow your dreams.