Aristotle was an ancient Greek philosopher and scientist who is considered to be one of the greatest thinkers in psychology and ethics. One of his famous quotes is “Friendship is essentially a partnership.’ You could wonder what past philosophers like Aristotle would think today of online friendships and groups or the way friendships are today.
Are friendships any different today than they were in the past?
I feel there is a season of life you go through where you are amongst friends and then seasons of life where you are immersed in family and work, just trying to stay ahead. Then it recycles back to friendships, some new, some old friendships and some revived friendships.
Today I’ve been reflecting on relationships as part of my end-of-year goals review. Am I happy with my relationships this year with family as well as friends? For me, the answer is yes. My feeling about this area of my life is happy. However, I also know that relationships are an area I’ll continue developing and expanding in 2020.
An article I read earlier today noted that relationships have become more transactional. As the article suggested, Are we bad at friendships, or are we just more selective about who we spend our time with? For me, as for many people, time is precious, and it can be a juggling act working out the time between 24/7 rosters to get together. #notanexcuse.
Being present with friends.
When you get together with family and friends, it is important to be present with them. Being present is not answering the phone or scrolling through your mobile. It is sharing, chatting and being there for each other.
One of the human needs is deep connections and relationships. Although connected online, many online friends are not true connections. This can be the same in person, depending on the scenario in which you are together. For example, I’m not as deeply connected to work friends as personal friends.
When it comes to online friends, although above, I say many are not true connections, and there are many who are true connections. It is possible to connect with people online and form friendships or relationships on one of the three types of friendships Aristotle speaks of.
Related post: 8 Ways to keep in touch with family overseas
15 Quotes on relationships with ourself and our friends.
- ‘Our happiness depends upon ourselves.’ – Aristotle
- ‘A friend to all is a friend to none.’ – Aristotle
- ‘Most people would rather give than get affection.’ – Aristotle
- ‘Friends hold a mirror up to each other; through that mirror, they can see each other in ways that would not otherwise be accessible to them, and it is this mirroring that helps them improve themselves as persons.’ – Aristotle
- ‘Friendship is essentially a partnership.’ – Aristotle
- ‘Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.’ – Aristotle
- ‘Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.’ – Aristotle
- ‘My best friend is the man who in wishing me well wishes it for my sake.’ – Aristotle
- ‘To love someone is to identify with them.’ – Aristotle
- ‘The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.’ – Aristotle
- ‘I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self.’ – Aristotle
- ‘Knowing yourself is the beginning of wisdom.’ – Aristotle
- ‘Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow-ripening fruit.’ – Aristotle
- ‘Nothing in life is more necessary than friendship.’ – Aristotle
- ‘The whole is more than the sum of its parts.’ – Aristotle
Like Artistole’s quote, ‘Friends for a season, friends for a reason, friends for life,’ it is easy to see how friendship circles differ and how the rules are defined by our similar interests. Effectively, ‘friendship is essentially a partnership’ fits into today’s friendship circles in person and via online connections by the agreements in which bond and connect.
Read more quotes:
21 Jim Rohn Quotes on Goals And Successful Habits
10 Jim Rohn Quotes to inspire change
John Maxwell Quotes To Empower Action and Leadership
60 Self-Reflection Quotes for Personal Growth
35 Inspiring Eleanor Roosevelt Quotes For Personal Growth
21 Inspiring New Year Quotes for a fresh start
25 Inspiring Rachel Hollis Quotes Inspiring Personal Growth
Quotes On Productivity That Help With Inspiration and Focus
40 Quotes That Motivate And Help You Focus On Your Life Goals